I've noticed on a particular TV quiz show that the producers obviously don't like the ladies to show too much leg or any cleavage whatsoever, and I suspect the wardrobe department has a stock of black leggings to wear with short dresses and both black and white lace-edged rectangles of fabric to use as modesty panels on their idea of a low neckline. I can't imagine that there are that number of women wearing either/both of these in the general population. I know that the contestants have to take three outfits that they think they could wear and the wardrobe department decides which. If none is considered suitable, the wardrobe department provides them with clothes for the show.

The modesty panels must just be pinned inside the garments, which have a variety of neck shapes. What's visible varies from just a lace edging at the very bottom of a V, to quite a large area of plain fabric edge with lace filling a wide neckline half way up to the shoulders. So Beth's suggestion of a folded large lace-edged hankie which can be unpinned for laundering would seem to be ideal. Or you could make a piece of wide lace edging about 12 inches long if you wanted it to be all lace.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK