Hi Clay and everybody else:

Some years ago a woman from Singapore (I think) came to my needle arts guild
and brought her hand-embroidered shoes for Show 'n Tell. I thought they'd be
like Sherlock Holmes' persian slippers, but no, they were proper professionally
made leather-soled 2" heels. Where she came from a woman showed her embroidery
skill by embroidering fabric which she then took them to a shoe-making service
that backed the embroidery and then fashioned it into the upper part of the
shoe. I think it was kind of like making a trousseau - you weren't ready to be
married until you'd finished your shoes.

I'm wondering if that sort of service is available in North America, because I
think we could really start a fashion for making your own lace shoes, and not
just for weddings. Anybody know?

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)