Just a few weeks ago, I decided to clean out the top shelf in a  closet.
Everything had been put there when I moved into this (then new)  house 16
years ago.  Surprise!  My old pair of white lace  shoes.  Surprise!  Badly
browned by acid burn damage from the shoe  box.

Flay this known lace conservator who has committed the ultimate crime
against lace!

The shoes are now the color of DMC floss #3047 (beige), not  white.

Incidentally, these shoes appeared in the 1991 IOLI lace convention
exhibition hosted by the Lost Art Lacers of North Jersey.  There were two
floor
length lace gowns in the exhibit room, and I placed a shoe to peep  out from
under the hem of each.

narrow bands of satin trimming that twisted over the front of  the foot and
around the heel, held with a small buckle.  Slender satin  4 inch high heel,
1/2 inch diameter at the floor.  Many wore  these "spike heeled" shoes at
that time.  I have very comfortable feet  some 50 years later - I can buy the
lowest-priced shoes on the market  and not feel discomfort.  It seems that
the long-term effects of  exaggerated shoes varies from foot-to-foot.  Of
course, I do not wear 4  inch heels now.  More like 2 inches these days.

The old lace shoes?  They have been wrapped in  acid-free tissue and placed
in an acid-free box for future storage.   Care must be taken that they will
not affect any other items in the same storage  box, so they are with
like-items.  The box is a smallish one.

If I wanted to make lace for shoes similar to mine,  I might try this
untested method:  Buy satin-covered shoes  (they are widely available for
formal
occasions, and can be dyed).  I  would find a shoe expert for the final
finishing - one with a clean work  habit.   Ask the shoe expert if it is
possible to peel back  the soles to glue the lace allowance under (no glue on
upper
-- it can  stain over time).  Then, re-attach the sole with very firm glue.
 I'd  leave the heels as they were - satin, because they will provide a
nice contrast  of texture.  For the lace, I would ask how much of a seam
allowance  should be added to the shape.  My guess would be 1/4 inch.

Knowing how long it would take to make delicate lace, I might buy a extra
pair of shoes to practice on - using a bit of machine-made lace for the
test.  Shoe manufacturers of anything unusual would make a number of  test
shoes, and I think you might want to try it, too.  You'd have two  extra shoes
to work with for your prototype.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center