Hi

I use cake wire for the needlelace flowers I make. The cake wire comes in several different thicknesses and the fine one is suitable. It is usually covered in green or white but as it is absorbant (probably paper) if you want the wire to match the colour of your thread, then just colour it with a felt tip pen and let it dry. Of course make sure that the colour will not run onto anything else. I also have a selection of coloured cake wires, but I am not sure where these can be bought as someone got me mine. I also stiffen my needlelace flowers by slightly spraying them with non-perfumed hairspray. Although there have been warnings that this can discolour the thread I have never found that it does. If you spray your petals on the pillow, then make sure that you have some sort of plastic covering under the lace so that the colour doesn't come out of your pricking card, or whatever you are using.

Just another idea

Maureen
E Yorks UK where it is currently very cloudy and about to rain