--------- Lyn Bailey <lynrbai...@desupernet.net> wrote:
When we are at home, it is easier to make lace at home than lug the stuff all
over, but clearly from the responses, making lace in public seems to draw
questions from onlookers.  How much interest could we get for lacemaking if we
simply spent some time in our home town making lace in a public place?  I don't
think anyone knows the answer, but it might be interesting to find out.

Some of us have found out.  I've worked on my lace pillow at the mechanic's
while waiting for my car to be serviced and at work at lunchtime (taught two
co-workers for awhile from that).  I've heard of others who have done similar
things.  October 1st has been "make lace in public" day for some years now.
Friends and I have made lace in knitting shops, embroidery shops, and malls
(just a person or two, sitting on the mall's seating with a small pillow in the
lap) on that day.  Pittsburgh Lace Group demonstrates every year at Phipps
Conservatory (a giant Victorian-style greenhouse open to the public) and the
Pittsburgh Folk Festival.  They often demonstrate at other craft-oriented shows
and historical festivals in and around Pittsburgh.  That's all local
lacemaking, and it generates a lot of interest and does get a few new members.

Here in southern California, groups demonstrate and teach at the Scandinavian
Festival (California Lutheran College), Huntington Gardens, Descanso Gardens,
Los Angeles Country Fair, and many places I don't remember.  Those are
"official" demonstration activities, but just bringing your pillow to someplace
you will be sitting awhile also works.  My own fascination with bobbin lace
began when I saw a woman making it in front of a store.  It took a few years to
find a class (by then I had moved), but I searched until I found it!

Even if a lace pillow doesn't travel all that well, it does travel.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com