Dear Pene et al,
Personally I was very heartened to see, on his website,
http://www.hertford.ox.ac.uk/about/people/dr-david-hopkin

"He is the process of initiating two new projects: one on the working lives and
culture of lacemakers from Flanders through to Northern Italy and Spain;"

Which sounds very promising. Thus guy writes books.  Sometimes there is a use
for publish or perish.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where every day the 8 Bradford Pear trees
in the park behind my house get closer to being in full bloom.

>Yesterday evening I attended a lecture hosted by the University of Tartu's
>Department of Scandinavian Studies.
>David Hopkin, an Oxford professor, is a very interesting person & an
>articulate speaker.
>
>His lecture was based on the 6th chapter of his book titled
>"Voices of the People in Nineteenth-Century France".
>http://www.academia.edu/1529492/Voices_of_the_People_in_Nineteenth-Century_France
>This chapter tells about the 18th Century songs that had been collected
>& recorded, from the lacemakers of Vellave (Le Puy-en-Valey) while they
>made lace in their homes.
>
>Personally, I think that maybe the songs were sung to help keep their
>minds active while doing the monotonous repetition of the piecework or
>yardage.  Nowadays we use radios & play musical CDs, or even listen to
>audio books, to make our time more productive while  relieving the quiet
>and boredom.

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."