Thank you, Pene.  I am interested in what is being taught at  universities
in 2013, especially about the history of women.

This will probably be a unpopular note, but my computer is on the way to
hospital, so will not reveal responses for a while.

The talk by David Hopkin, as summarized, seems riddled with  assumptions!
He is promoting a book. Please remember that men's brains are  not wired the
same as women's.  This is not the 19th C (or even the  first half of the
20th C.), but 2013!  We all are familiar with folk songs,  may sing them, but
probably they are not relevant to our lives any more than  popular "music"
of our time.  Humans sing.

Written accounts of the past were usually kept if written by men, and were
not kept if written by women.  Men tried to diminish women, and some are
still doing so.  Women actually wrote under pen names.  They chose to  use an
initial, or to use a male name completely unrelated to them.  Their
private diaries were not kept to the same extent as men's writing.  Men's
writing
became the history we were forced to learn in school.

I own some books published by prestigious universities that are full of
inaccuracies, and appear to have never been proofread.  The people who  wrote
them received university degrees.   I'm not saying this about  Professor
Hopkin's writings, but do have some reservations about his  objective.  Do you
suppose he has ever made lace?  Can he  imagine sitting still and making
lace day-after-day, for a lifetime, in  silence??  Yes, it was done in the
convents.  But, in some other  centers of lace making it would seem normal to
sing.  We know  that sometimes there was a reader to relieve the  monotony.

The brief story of the song about St. Alexis reminded me of young  "lost
souls" of every century.

The following award-winning book was reviewed in 2003, and I  recommend it
again:  "The Prospect Before Her - A History of Women in  Western Europe
1500-1800" by Olwen Hufton. 638 pg. 1995 paperback from  Random House (Vintage
Press) ISBN 0-679-76818-1, $18.  By a woman, best  read in small doses.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 4/16/2013 4:16:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,