Dear Alice and other Friends,

  We have had several people right here on
Arachne who had pursued the skills on their own.

I believe I was the first person to learn bobbin lace via the Internet & Arachne back in late 1995. I know I began with "20 Lessons in Bedfordshire Lace" and made 3 or 4 items from it. But then someone sent me a little pin cushion with a lovely Bucks Point edge. I never dreamed I'd ever actually own anything so beautiful, let alone be able to make it.

After working through a couple of Bucks Point Books, I bought a teach yourself book on Chantilly put out by the Dutch Lace Guild, and then it wasn't long before I discovered the wonderful books by Ulrike Loehr (later Voelkers).
The rest is history.

I certainly never had to endure the restrictions a purist teacher might put on one. In fact I recall very early on thinking how the cloth or half stitch inside a motif would look far better right up against the gimp and have never twisted on the inside since!
David in Ballarat, AUS

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to