Up in the Top End (of Australia), some 25 or more years ago, a lady got herself a copy of rosemary shepherd's Beginners book, and taught herself from that book. She then found some other like-minded ladies, lent the book, and helped them learn from it. There is now a thriving Lace Group in the area. - so it is not that hard to teach yourself from a book.
In the early days here (1980s), I remember someone looking at my Beds lace I was working on, and wishing she knew enough to move on to Beds and Bucks Pt. laces. Her teacher was keeping her on little torchon edges, - and she told me she had "only been learning for 3 or 4 years, so was not knowledgeable enough to move to another lace yet" !! I am Still appalled about that, and have never forgotten it! Exploitation, - like the "bums on seats in class" comment. Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz. - To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]. Photo site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/
