Hi Arachnids,
That is as appalling as some of the students in my class who had a previous
teacher who would never show or teach them how to start or finish a piece
nor how to turn a corner (she used to take their pillow home with her and
did it for them to "help" them). She also put them completely off doing
picots or leaves with her comments - they do their own starts and finishes
now and do leaves/picots/corners as and when needed; although one is still
reluctant to do picots. I am just thankful that she could not kill their
enthusiasm for lace altogether.
I feel that they would have been better off learning from a book, although
that is not for everybody either.
Happy lace making.
Joepie in East Sussex, UK where it is raining hard again.
-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth Ligeti
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [lace] learning on your own
Up in the Top End (of Australia), <..... .......> (1980s), I remember
someone
looking at my Beds lace I
was working on, and wishing she knew enough to move on to Beds and Bucks Pt.
laces. Her teacher was keeping her on little torchon edges, - and she told
me she had "only been learning for 3 or 4 years, so was not knowledgeable
enough to move to another lace yet" !! I am Still appalled about that, and
have never forgotten it! Exploitation, - like the "bums on seats in class"
comment.
Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.
-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/