Adele wrote:

<Hmmm. Not to start an international copyright war, or anything, but - suppose
somebody did make that mat from the photo, without using the pricking that
Ruth Bean published. Would they be able to, say, make a hi-resolution scan of
the mat that they made, and then either sell it or provide it to lacemakers
for free, and have it all be perfectly legal?>

I wouldn't have thought it would be legal. I haven't compared the two, but
isn't the Ruth Bean one a "version" of the mat -
i.e. not an exact copy of
the original. Both of those designs and photos would still be under copyright,
but you could always make a pricking of a similar mat of your own design which
had different elements in it. If the original and Ruth Bean ones aren't
identical, then that's what has been done there and Patricia Bury produced a
pricking based on the photo.

You'd have to get legal advice on whether or not you could photocopy the
existing pricking and than makes changes to it or if you'd have to start with
a blank canvas.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK