I should have made clear I meant perfectly legal to use the photo in order to
be able to make a pricking for your own use. Not to sell. And assuming you own
or have a copy of the book all the time you are making the mat (see below).

I seem to remember in an earlier Channer mat discussion some explained that
technically once you sell, give or even loan a book or pattern, at that point
you no longer are entitled to keep any copies you made from it, even for your
own use. You sell give or loan your entitlement to benefit from the copyright
as the item leaves your possession. You will be relieved to hear though that
you can keep the lace you made as that is your interpretation of the pricking
and thus has a copyright all of its own - presumably explaining the Pat
Bury/Ruth Bean copyright of that version of the Channer mat.  Can whoever
posted the information tell me if I have remembered that correctly?

When did Miss Channer die? Margaret Waller is already talking about her in the
past tense in 1953. Once a certain number of years have passed (70?) from her
death, will her original pricking be out of copyright, or will Ruth Bean's
successors still hold that, even though it's not the pricking used in the
reprint?

Jacquie in Lincolnshire.