The pic doesn't show up on The Lace Guild site but if you click on the name of
the lady who asked the question and go to her home page on Fb then multiple pics
for the object can be seen.

I doubt very much that it can have anything to do with making of bobbin lace.
The metal tabs on each corner would snag thread and the3  brass(??) posts that
stick up proud of the surface on each side and then another down the bottom
would also get in the way of thread and bobbin placement.  And then there is the
fact that it has the hanging wire on the back.....  whatever it is, it looks to
me like it's mean to be hung on a wall.

In Australia, we call charity/thrift shops 'Op' shops (derived from
'Opportunity' shop).