Chantilly is different in some minor respects - you’ll find out working through 
Lia’s examples.
Then again: if you don’t want/need to work in a historically correct way, you 
could simply work the pieces as you are used to for Bucks (you could even 
mirror the pattern to have the edge on the other side - but this shouldn’t be 
necessary if you already did some bookmarks - there you have worked both sides 
anyway). Though bundling threads to go with the gimp for a while doesn’t occur 
in Bucks as far as I remember (too lazy to get out my books now, it’s too hot 
here …).
As others said before: it doesn’t really matter if you work open (ending with 
twists) or closed (ending with cross). Antje’s description describes what I do: 
work closed on flemish pillows, where the bobbins don’t dangle and wont get in 
a different order easily, and work open on the German bolster pillows. Once you 
get to understand what’s really happening with your threads, you’ll see that 
the result is the same and you’ll even be able to switch methods in the middle 
of work - even if you’ll come back to your pillow much later, you’ll see at a 
glance if you already did the twists or not.

Anyway: have fun with your Chantilly. After seeing some gorgeous pieces in the 
Normandy a few weeks ago, I still think it’s my favourite type of lace (and 
Blonde, a variant made in Caen, and interestingly also in Barcelona).

Best from Berlin, where it’s going to be nearly as hot as in Spain (39 °C 
expected for Sunday). I’d rather be in Catalunya right now, though - the heat 
is much more bearable at the sea and I love Spanish food and the people (hoping 
no Catalán is reading this, it’s actually different from the rest of Spain, 
even the language). Achim.

> Now I am wondering if this is just a quirk of Lia's or if Chantilly lace 
> is really done different from Bucks. 

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to