Linda,

When working point ground the "Ulrike" way, we are advised to use fat
pins for honeycomb and picots and thin pins for the rest. Different heads
would be nice, so I would know which is which during the work, and
especially while sorting the pins afterwards.

While I don't follow all Ulrike's ideas religiously, I do use a thicker pin for starting the work and also all round the edge for picots. That way there's no real hassle in sorting them at the end. The bigger pins for the starting line make such a difference in fine work when it comes to joining the lace after many months of work.
David in Ballarat, AUS