Last week at Winterthur, Linda Eaton announced that the entire textile
collection is being photographed and will be available for viewing via
computer in the near future.  So, Devon, they have anticipated your  wishes.
They
have always had wonderful staff photographers, skilled  in bringing out the
best in any object photographed.  Evidence of  this are the very lovely
photos in publications Winterthur  produces.

You may like to know, Devon, that Amelia Peck, a Metropolitan Museum of Art
 Curator, was one of the presenters in the morning auditorium sessions,
speaking  about Candace Wheeler (1827-1923) who was the  first woman to lead an
 American decorating firm, having started earlier in her career as a
partner in a Tiffany business venture.  This talk was "Making Art  Embroidery
Work for Women".

Devon - Tricia Wilson Nguyen, Owner of Thistle Threads (mentioned  several
times in old Arachne correspondence) spoke about "Professional vs.  Amateur:
The Economics of Embroidery".  This was fascinating.  Nguyen  conceived of,
and led the making of a reproduction 17th Century embroidered  jacket at
Plimoth Plantation a few years ago.  Devon made some of the  gold lace on the
jacket, styled after the famous surviving Layton jacket in the  Victoria and
Albert Museum, London.  The V and A also owns a portrait of  Layton wearing
the jacket.  What I realized the first time I viewed these 2  items in
London was that the gold lace on the jacket and in the portrait  were from
different patterns.  Probably the original became worn and was  replaced on the
jacket, with the old gold lace being melted down for  re-use.  When you want
to buy silk and gold threads, Thistle Threads  in the state of Massachusetts
is one place to shop.

Arlene - Yes, I took the second of two sessions of "Luxury Lives  in the
Details" workshop you described.  Agree that the presenter, a  cataloguer of
Museum Collections was inexperienced and hesitant -  quite unusual for
Winterthur, which has always had very impressive experts on  all the American
Decorative Arts.  I kept wishing she could come  to Maine for some one-on-one
time with me.   The library of  4,000+ books I have collected would not exist,
had I not spent a very  educational week at Winterthur half a lifetime ago.
 It was a  jointly-sponsored program Winterthur/EGA (offered to
Embroiderers'  Guild of America members).  Only about a dozen people
participated, and
it  has never been repeated.  It greatly advanced my personal interests:
Embroidery, Lace, Textiles used in period rooms, Conservation &  Restoration,
Collecting books and collecting textiles.  Everyone should be  so lucky.
Further, I would like to mention that quite a few paid members  of the staff
in high positions are women, with Linda Eaton holding one of  the most
prestigious.  Just saying....how nice it is.

Arlene - I practice what I preach.  That means I wear lace.  It  is a great
way to start a conversation.

Someone: please write a response to this, so that people who do  not
receive AOL mail will know to look at the Arachne Archives for  it.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 10/17/2016 2:43:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,