I am working on my second adaptation of a lappet from the book about Thomas
Lester. I have managed to put a photo on Flickr in the Photo Stream. I thought
I was putting it in my album but it did not show up there. Maybe Sue can move
it for me. :-) Anyway, take a look. Holly Van Sciver did the pricking for it
from photos from the book as there are no prickings provided. Thankfully she
changed the baby giraffe birth sac that was between the giraffes legs into a
leaf and vine design.  The piece is close to 14 inches tall and I doubt I
would ever wear it on my head. It did win the Best of the Lace Division last
summer at the San Diego County Fair.
I am currently working on another adaptation of one of the ostrich lappets in
the same book. This one is bigger and wider. At the widest part I had on over
400 bobbins if you count all the gimp bobbins as well. I worked both pieces in
Egyptian 80/2 and enlarged them to 125% so that I could see what I was
doing.This one has a double plaited ground with lots of rolled tallies. I will
post a photo when it is finished.It will take ages to cut all the thrown back
threads and remove the pins. I hope to put it in the display at convention
this summer if it looks good enough.
I should ask my daughter to put it on my revamped website. Just looked and
realized it was not there.
Janice

<A larger problem that I see is that many of the best lappets required the
fine
thread that is no longer available to make them in their historical
proportions. An attempt to recreate an antique lappet with the thread of
today
might turn into more of a wall  hanging, or curtain, possibly a toga if it
were to be worn.

While Alice feels that it is the patterns that should be preserved, and they
are very pretty, perhaps lappet wearers of the 21st century would prefer
different themes than floral. Maybe they would like lappets with themes of
social commentary, or even abstract lappets.

Perhaps this would be a good topic for a lace contest. The Lappet of
Tomorrow.
Devon>Janice Blair Murrieta, CA, jblace.com