Janice your giraffe is exquisite!  Many congratulations and you must be
delighted with the result.

I am faced with a similar problem in that I am currently working on an antique
Point de Gaze pattern of a collar, given to me some 30 or so years ago by a
Belgian lady.  At that time I didn't have the knowledge or expertise that I now
have but always promised myself that I would work it one day.  I have been
working on it for just over two years now and hope to complete it this year,
but I have been faced with the same problem in that the threads that would have
been used to work such a piece, are no longer available!  I have been using the
Brok cotton threads which are also being discontinued and which worked well for
needlelace but have had to resort to the Egyptian cotton threads which are
produced in quite a variety of the different gauges that are required to work
the Point de Gaze,  However, I find they don't have the 'body' of the antique
threads and am doubtful that they would stand up to the 'wear and tear' that
would be imposed on a collar?  I may wear it just the !
 once when finally completed and then have to resort to having it framed, as I
would be devastated if the 170 Egyptian cotton that I have used for the fine
net background should start to disintegrate into holes!

Does anyone know what brand of thread is currently used in France to make their
Alencon lace or even if anyone does actually still make Alencon lace?

Catherine Barley
UK

Catherine Barley Needlelace
www.catherinebarley.com