Carolina and Jean are suggesting that Point Plat is the correct term. Gon says
that she would call it Point de Venise a relief, “because there is a small
relief around the motives. In the Point de Venise Plat there is no relief at
all.”
Gon echoes a feeling that I have about it. I think of Point Plat as a rather
rare lace. The lack of a finished edge around the motifs is very noticeable.
In fact, it may be rather hard to achieve. But in this piece There is a
buttonholed relief around the edges of the motifs. The relief around the
motifs seems more like what you would see in what I would call Point de Venise
such as was being made in the late 19th early 20th century for table linens.
As such this structure is a very common one, not rare. But as this piece is
dated to the 17th century, would the term Point de Venise be appropriate? Is
Point de Venise a generic term or does it imply a date as well?
A concern that I have is that people looking for Point Plat, an unusual lace,
would be disappointed to be directed to this lace.
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10