Hello Joseph and everyone

I googled, Mecklenburg thread No. 20, and found this quote from 'Victorian
Embroidery, An Authoritative Guide' by Barbara J. Morris, 2003.
"...In nineteenth-century England, guipure d'art was worked in raised and
intersected patterns darned on a square network of linen thread. The thread
used was known as Mecklenburg thread and the best quality was made by the
firm of Walter Evans & Co. of Derby. The Mecklenburg thread came in eight
grades,  known as 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 and 20, No. 2 being the coarsest
and No. 20 the finest."
So, an embroidery cotton at least.
If you can print a pattern known to require this size thread, and try
different threads that you do have on it, could help decide an equivalent?

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Joseph Young <
graceadlerdesi...@outlook.com> wrote:

> I am looking for an equivalent for this thread, Walter Evans and Co.'s
> Mecklenburg thread No. 20. It is mentioned in many old books I have read
> online. I would love a WPC equivalent if possible. I would love to know
> what type of thread it is too, like a mercerized or glazed cotton.

Hope this helps.
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful cool Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada