I found Mrs. Beeton’s book online, and found directions for using
Mecklenburg thread along with embroidery cotton to do cutwork, so they must
have been two different things.

Judging from the way they used the thread in the pattern, if I were doing that
today I would substitute pearl cotton, although it could have been a matte
soft cotton like DMC’s coton a broder. You can see the pattern here:
https://tinyurl.com/yb9aq2uf <https://tinyurl.com/yb9aq2uf>

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)