Dyes have not been known for fastness until recently.  Linen shifts and shirts
were the next to the skin layer, and were meant to be washed, so white would
have to be the color of choice.  Remember that in Germany clothes have been
boiled in recent memory.  How this explains the black embroidery on shifts in
Elizabethan times I have no idea.  Nor the red silk worn by Puritans in places
that could not be seen.  I did read that bit somewhere.  Notice also that there
are no citations to sources in this post, so this is just my own thinking. It
seems to be to be only sensible that color would not be put in lace that was to
be washed regularly.  Color and metal for things that would not be washed would
be fine.  I really don't think sumptuary laws had much to do with the color of
lace, but I think that practical considerations were very important.  I suspect
that even caps were subject to washing, although by the lady’s maid, not the
laundress, and certainly handkerchiefs neede!
 d washing.  White lace would have been a more reliable investment.  Plus, if
it were decorating something, white lace would match every color of silk, and
colored lace would not.  So we find colors in fans, and, of course, in modern
lace, 20th century lace, where color fastness was more reliable.  Just my two
cents.

Lyn from Lancaster, Pennsylvania , USA, but presently in hot, sunny dry
Arizona, hoping that the weather back home will be good by the time we get home.

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."