On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 7:29 PM, <lynrbai...@supernet.com> wrote:

>   Linen shifts and shirts were the next to the skin layer, and were meant
> to be washed, so white would have to be the color of choice.  Remember that
> in Germany clothes have been boiled in recent memory.  How this explains
> the black embroidery on shifts in Elizabethan times I have no idea.
> Lyn from Lancaster, Pennsylvania , USA, but presently in hot, sunny dry
> Arizona, hoping that the weather back home will be good by the time we get
> home.
>

> ​The same way we explain a Lamborghini or Bugatti.  Embroidered items,
like lace, were very expensive; from the creating them ("true" blacks were
extremely hard to do in Elizabethan times) to the keeping them nice (many
old records show a fortune for the time spent on laundry services).

Just like today, a person who can afford the Bugatti or Lamborghini can
also afford the upkeep, and think that getting 5 gallons/liters per
mile/kilometer is a worthwhile trade for the joy of owning the car that
purrs, the person who could afford the highly embroidered undergarments
also considered it a worthwhile trade for the ability to show off their
riches and social status.

Jennifer in Colorado​

--
Per pale argent and purpure, two phoenixes counterchanged sable and argent
each rising from flames proper.