H Bev,
Slentre braid sounds exactly like the 5 loop braid which was the first
finger-looped braid I learned.
 Did you know that by picking up the loop that is transferred from one hand
to the other in different ways - eg by changing whether you catch the top
or the bottom thread of the loop - you can get different shaped braids?

I'm not sure about Slentre Braid being a precursor to bobbin lace but I
would suggest it is the same family.
Agreed a fascinating topin
Gil