Good morning

Following on the discussion about the above topic, there is a book called Well
Suited To The Colony, written by Gillian Kelly from Australia, which tells the
story of the manufacturers of machine lace from when they left England due to
hard times to go to Calais France and then when they left France during the
French Revolution, their journey to Australia and what happened to them after
that.  It is well worth reading.  I was asked to review the book for the Lace
Guild and it opened my eyes to their way of life and how they were treated.
There is a website called The Australian Lacemakers of Calais which was set up
by descendants of the Lacemakers and is very informative and helpful.  As a
result of me doing the book review, I then bought a copy, made contact with
both Gillian and Richard, the then Chairman of the group and got lots of
information and help from them as I did a talk or two to tell their story.  And
I am a dedicated hand lacemaker, but it did change my perce!
 ption of machine lace and the makers of it.

Not only was hand lacemaking a hard lifestyle, see the stories of the children
at lace schools but it was for the machine Lacemakers as well.

Maureen
Yorkshire UK