I would like to suggest that it is William Felkin's book, A history of
the machine-wrought hosiery and lace manufactures that Jane is
referencing. It is written in a very amusing style in 1867.
I am quite interested in the example of lace that Alex posted on her
site that is part handmade and part machine with embroidery. We were
just looking at a piece in the museum, 08.180.260
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search#!?q=08.180.260&perPage=20&sortBy=Relevance&sortOrder=asc&offset=0&pageSize=0
Elena, who was interning with us then, pointed out that it was machine
made! What was interesting was that there were two parts to it, like
the piece on Alex's blog. there was a larger area of a machine mesh
which look sort of like cat stitch, and then a border of a finer
machine mesh which is exactly like point ground. (Recognizing point
ground made by machine is something I would like to learn how to do,
since the thread movements are often identical, I don't know how to
figure this out.) The surprise to me was that they were making two
different meshes on the machine, then embrodering them. For some
reason, I had assumed that we went from a plain tulle to the ability
to do flowers, without gimp, and then finally to flowers with gimp.
The concept that they were setting up the machines to do two adjacent
different grounds and then handing them off to the hand embroiderers
was news to me. Then, I looked at the Felkin book and saw something
similar on Plate XII.Then I remembered that we had seen something
similar in a salt print by the famous photographer Henry Fox Talbot.
He had made a photo of a piece of lace in 1845 Here is a link
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/289186?sortBy=Relevance&ft=Henry+Fox+Talbot+lace&offset=0&rpp=20&pos=1
In fact I saw something similar in another Henry Fox Talbot salt print
book up at Yale, but didn't get a photo of it.
It is possible that Henry Fox Talbot was taking a photo of a piece of
lace that was made far in the past, since presumably he didn't care
what era the lace was. But, I asked Gunnel what she thought the date
on the piece was and she said 1830s. I always think of the big blondes
as being 1830s, so I guess i need to go back and look at the smaller
borders of that era .Are they typically characterized by two different
meshes side by side?
Seeing Alex's piece where they attached a strip of the handmade to the
embroidered mesh is very interesting. It is clearly a period of
intense experimentation.
Yes, it was quite likely the same people transitioning from hand
lacemaking to embroidering net.
Devon
PS. I think it was the Napoleonic Wars, not the French Revolution that
was the instigation for expelling English lace workers from France.