There's also a book in the Guild library about (I think this is the title, but
not sure, it's been a while...) The History of the Nottingham Lace Industry -
which goes through the trials and tribulations of those lace makers who worked
with machines rather than bobbins. From the cottage industries with stocking
frames in their homes to the lace factories - the sometimes terse relationships
between employers and employees, lock ins and lock outs, strikes which risked
livelihoods in days of no state handouts, the rise of the unions and the power
they had over employers, and probably the biggest threat to employment (which
affected both hand and machine industries) - changes in fashion.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling I read somewhere that most of the luddites
weren't the actual workers - they were troublemakers who came from other areas
- though of course some would have been. Those who were caught ended up being
prosecuted, jailed and in some cases on the gallows.

I went to the exhibition in Loughborough Museum which was connected with the
book that Maureen mentions - it told the tale as to how Heathcote's machines
moved first from Loughborough to Nottingham, then with opposition there, to
Tiverton in Devon, and then were broken down and smuggled to Calais. At a time
when they were trying to increase the non-convict population of Australia, the
workers were offered a one way ticket with an incentive payment, hence the
reason many families moved on. I can't remember any mention of the Revolution,
though, Maureen - wasn't that in 1789 and thus well before Heathcote's
machines, which I think came into production round about 1808 - or did France
have a second revolution (I have vague memories from history at school of
something being 'bloodless')?

As hand-lacemakers we at times are up in arms against the machines that took
the work away, but a good number of handworkers transferred to the factories
because of better pay and in some cases, conditions, and they were all people
fighting for their livelihood in days when a change of fashion, or a poor
cotton harvest, could put them all in the workhouse. In Liz Bartlett's book
about the Lace Villages, she points out the difficulty she had in finding out
about the life and work of the Bucks lacemakers because the job was so
connected to poverty no-one wanted to ever think or talk about it again.

Jane Partridge
(Whose Nottingham-born husband has both Bedfordshire (hand) and Nottingham
(machine) lace makers in his ancestry)
From: owner-l...@arachne.com <owner-l...@arachne.com> on behalf of Maureen
<maur...@roger.karoo.co.uk>

Following on the discussion about the above topic, there is a book called Well
Suited To The Colony, written by Gillian Kelly from Australia, which tells the
story of the manufacturers of machine lace from when they left England due to
hard times to go to Calais France and then when they left France during the
French Revolution, their journey to Australia and what happened to them after
that.  It is well worth reading.

Not only was hand lacemaking a hard lifestyle, see the stories of the children
at lace schools but it was for the machine Lacemakers as well.

Maureen
Yorkshire UK