I just wanted to add (for the sake of any noobs looking at this thread
in the future): after installing slapd in Debian Jessie, you can run
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure slapd" to set a number of very basic
configurations options which mysteriously are not asked when you first
install slapd (e.g., the domain of your database).

On 09/17/2016 11:40 PM, Roland Gruber wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> On 17.09.2016 20:16, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> Hi, I'm a noob to LDAP and LAM. I'm doing a learning project to setup
>> LDAP on a Debian Jessie system, and then I was going to try
>> authenticating against it from another Debian laptop. I installed
>> something called "slapd" from Jessie main, and then I heard about LAM,
>> so I installed that from Jessie main as well. I started following the
>> PDF LAM manual I found online. I figured out to set the master password,
>> how to create a profile, and then how to set the password for that
>> profile. But I cannot figure out how to login as the "Manager", which is
>> presumably what you I to do to actually manage the user accounts. All
>> the passwords I've created so far, as well as the default "lam"
>> password, do not seem to work.
>
> for Debian the admin account starts with cn=admin by default. Search for
> "olcRootDN" in a file like this:
>
> /etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/olcDatabase={1}bdb.ldif
>
> The password is set when you install slapd.
>

> Best regards
>
> Roland

https://qlfiles.net
My PGP public key ID is 0x340EA95A (pgp.mit.edu).