>> I. The language itself

>> The proponents of the project have convinced me that Montenegrin is
>> comparable as a language standard to Serbian, Croatian or Bosnian.

>How have they convinced you? Where are the pages of paradigms?

Understand what they have and have not convinced me. They have convinced me
that Montenegrin is as entitled to be called a language as Serbian or
Croatian—no more, and no less.  You have frequently gone back and compared this
situation to the very fine work you did on Western Armenian, but I don't think
it's at all comparable. In this case, I am merely saying that Montenegrin is
one of the four language standards within the macrolanguage Serbo-Croatian. So:
If you were asked, today—leaving aside history—whether an independent Serbian
Wikipedia would be eligible under current rules, what would you say? If you
would say no, then we're pretty much in the same position. If you would say
yes, then I'd like to know why Serbian qualifies, but Montenegrin doesn't.

>> Conclusion
>> Several people have said to me that Montenegrin is more similar to other
>> Serbo-Croatian varieties than US and UK English are to each other; would I
>> insist on separate projects if they happened to have separate language
>> codes? No, I wouldn't. But that's because on the whole, the various
>> English-speaking communities around the world do manage to co-exist with
>> each other quite well—and tend to blunt each other's excesses a bit, too.
>> Sadly, that's not the case here.

>So you want us to enable their divisions?

In an ideal world, I would prefer not to. But the divisions already exist and
the history already exists, both in the world at large and within our WMF
microcosm. If you have a way to wipe out these divisions and have everyone work
together in harmony on a single Serbo-Croatian project, then please tell me how
to do that. I'm saying very clearly: I do not think it is possible. (Do you
think the Montenegrins are upset now? Try to close the other three projects and
merge them into Serbo-Croatian. Then you'll really hear screaming.) Maybe none
of the four projects (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin) should really
exist as independent projects. But three do, and we are not going to delete
them. And if those three do, the fourth must also; it's no less deserving than
the others.

Steven

Michael