W dniu 2014-01-30 04:14, Kumara Bhikkhu pisze:
> Of what you listed, these are rightly flagged:
>
>   * few in number
>   * religious in nature
>   * autocratic in nature,
>
> Removing the 2nd and 3rd token wouldn't cause any lost of meaning.

Well, in general, I'm skeptical about inclusion of "in nature". In many
instances, it means "in fact", which is just a matter of stress (but not
redundant or pompous at all). But there is a number of uses where it
means "by necessity" or "in essence", which argues that something
essentially or necessarily has a certain property. This is proper usage,
and your rule would conflate necessity judgments and actuality
judgments, which is simply a logical fallacy.

Let me quote the passage from the Brown corpus:

The men who speculate on these institutions have, for the most part,
come to at least one common conclusion: that many of the great
enterprises and associations around which our democracy is formed are in
themselves autocratic in nature, and possessed of power which can be
used to frustrate the citizen who is trying to assert his individuality
in the modern world.

Here, by saying "autocratic", and not "autocratic in nature", one would
change the logical structure of the passage, and make the point
ambiguous. The writer wanted to say that some apparently democratic
institutions are autocratic in character, or in their real essence (so
they are autocratic necessarily, not contingently). To apply the
"correction" offered by BIG_IN_SIZE to this passage is to distort the
logical structure of the passage.

I will probably remove 'nature' from the rule altogether.

Regards,
Marcin