Bo Berglund wrote:

And it looks more complete, there is a chat example which implements a
bidirectional system using a thread too.
I will try to stuff this into the existing code if possible...

As Mark Morgan Lloyd has pointed out I *really* need to create an
encapsulated class for the TCPIP communications so I can use this as
an alternate component in the existing object and for this I need to
implement an onReceive event to plug the incoming data into it.
Otherwise I am in for a really big rewrite of the class.

Although I think that was more in the context of trying to keep everything together if handling e.g. both serial comms and something over a socket.

I usually end up with odd requirements that force me to go to low-level serial port access, or a low-level socket... needing to log times accurately, a special-purpose telnet server and so on. The result of this is that I'm often better served with a low-level thread (and possibly select() calls etc.), with the interface to the main program being a buffer.

So find some way of encapsulating stuff, but I'd suggest not focussing on that to the exclusion of getting the main job done.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk