Michael Schnell wrote:
On 10/21/2015 11:28 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

If that's something you're actively working on it would sound like an eminently sensible suggestion.

I had been working on that on and off (and discussing it here) for a long time, but there had been no point in pushing it (once I were not in need of using it myself any more), before fpc 3.x is an official release so that a non-svn-user would be able to compile it (and hence would break Lazarus in case it would be included).

Tracking the "best" version of FPC for any given Linux release can be tricky. In retrospect it's unfortunate that the Lazarus 1.0 release wasn't delayed until FPC 3.0, as a memorable combination against which programs meant for distribution to people who didn't normally run FPC etc. could be tested.

In practical terms, there have been a number of "must-have" features in the IDE and LCL- frames as a particular example- which have mandated moving onto a "bleeding-edge" FPC. My experience with Lazarus-1.4.0 and FPC 3.0 rc1 has been generally good, particularly once I'd moved off 2014-era Raspbian.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk