Marc Weustink schreef:
Marc Weustink wrote:
Vincent Snijders wrote:
A.J. Venter schreef:
Why not just *.af.po? Are there other (incompatible) version of
Afrikaans besides af_ZA?

Surprizingly yes :) There are six official af locales:
af_ZA
af_NA (Using N$ as currency for example)
af_BW (Currency BWP - uses French-style date writing)
etc. etc. for Southern Africa, they are close but non-identical.

More importantly tgere is the BIG surprize:
af_AR: This one has is as different from af_ZA as fr_GH is from fr_FR.
During the anglo boer war, a large number of PoW's were sent to the (then
British colony of) Argentina. Most of them never returned, instead
founding several towns in Southern Argentina where the official language is Afrikaans, but the language has developed independently for more than a
century and Afrikaans by it's nature is incredibly prone to
rapid-development (so much so that Afrikaans speakers today struggle to
read books written in the 1950's).

In short -yes, specifying ZA is actually important.

Until now, there is only a af_ZA translation. But by adding _ZA (or -za), it won't be the default for people using one of other af_* localizations.

Suppose somebody has af_NA as locale, what would be more desirable? That he gets the english translation as default or the current af_ZA translation?

If you thing english is best, then let it be af_ZA. If you think af_ZA is better, the file must be renamed to just *.af.po.

I don't think so. In that case you can't see (easily) what country it is supposed for. Besides that, the moment there are 2 translations, we have that problem anyway.

The moment you get two translations, you make one the default and the other a special case.

For example *.af.po and *.af-ar.po.
Or *.fr.po and *.fr-be.po. The Swiss will with locale fr_CH will then use *.fr.po, the belgiums with *.fr_BE will use *.fr.po.

Maybe the search algo should be extended.

1) language-country
2) language
3) language-*
4) english

BTW, now we're discussing this, what did we use for the portuguese or brazilian translation ?

We use *.pb.po. This cannot be found by the search alogrithm.

Vincent