1. md5
------
When running lbackup, at some point the command md5 is invoked:

/usr/local/libexec/lbackup/message_templates/mail_logerror_attachment.sh
(line 47)
and in the same directory
mail_standard_attachment.sh (line 45)

On ubuntu, md5 seems not to be part of the standard distribution, at least not by that name. On ubuntu the respective command is md5sum.

2. sendmail
-----------
sendmail is not configured on my system:
sendmail: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory
It seems a big requirement needing to configure sendmail just for sending mail from a shell script.

There's a dead simple to use alternative: sendemail (http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/).
It's perl-based but requires no other modules, hence runs off the
cuff. It supports everything required by lbackup including attaching files, yet in a simpler way (e.g. no need to base64-encode attachments "manually").

Replacing sendmail with sendemail would also rid us of the missing md5 problem (1. above). If anyone's interested I could provide patches.

3. symlinks and samba
---------------------
My destination for the backup happens to be a mounted samba drive which lacks support of symbolic links. These occur in some situations of my source to be backed up.
Is there a standard way to deal with this situation?
(I think none of rsync's options satisfactorily handle this particular case: I would like to reproduce the exact same state from my backup. --links: With the target filesystem's lack of support for symbolic links, simple copying is not available.
--copy-links: Collapsing of links is not the same as keeping them verbatim)

4. rsync options
----------------
Is there a standard way to plug in options into the rsync command invoked by lbackup?

Maybe lbackup could do a prerequisite check whether all required tools are present? And possibly dispatch to different commands depending on the OS?
E.g.

if uname -a | grep -i ubuntu >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  MD5=md5sum
else
  MD5=md5
fi