Thanks to the quick help provided by this list, I now have a basic
test LBackup configuration working on my system running Mac OS X
10.5.8. Now I have some usage questions:

(1) Is there a way to set up LBackup so that it backs up using a
schedule similar to Apple Time Machine? I.e. I am hoping to do
something like: keep daily backups for the week, weekly backups for
the past month, monthly backups until some sort of pre-set limit is
reached (i.e. less than a certain number of total monthly backups, or
only keep backups from the past year, etc.) I know this may involve
some fancy cron work, but is there anything I should do on the LBackup
end? If you have tips on how to set this up in cron that would be
great, too.

(2) My computer needs to be on and awake for scheduled backups to
occur, right? (I think this is a cron limitation?)

(3) Right now the incremental backups are named "Section.n" (sans
quotes), where n is a number. Is there a way to change this so that
these backups are named after the dates and times that they were made?
This will make it very easy for me to find a backup from a specific
time at a glance.

(4) The LBackup website talks about Mac OS X permissions and ACLs,
etc. However, in my case I want to strip my files of any OS specific
metadata, including permissions, etc. Is there a way to achieve this?

(5) Since LBackup incremental backups use hard links, how will these
backups (Section.0, Section.1, etc.) look like and behave on a Windows
system?

(6) Looks like LBackup has some SSH capabilities, but the website only
talks about logging into an SSH server with keys. I have access to a
SSH server that only allows password authentication, can LBackup
handle this? My scenario is that I want to backup files on this SSH
server *to* an external hard drive connected to my computer.

Sorry about the long email. If you can help with any or all of the
above points that would be great. Thank you very much!