Hello again,

I plan to have the backup machine always on (unless there is a way to
schedule it to turn on at set times!), so I don't think Anacron would
be necessary. In addition, even though I am fine with scripting and
using the terminal, I am trying to develop a solution where the entire
backup configuration with scheduling can be set up with a GUI. This is
so that other members of my group can also set up lbackup without my
help. And neither Anacron nor fcron has a GUI as far as I know.

Right now I am writing a bash script that can generate basic
configuration files, bundled into a Mac OS X GUI application with the
versatile Platypus 4.4 wrapper (http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus/). If
you know of a good way (other than using Platypus) to do this I am
open to suggestions! This plus Cronnix will give the whole setup a GUI
configuration option. Perhaps one day this will turn into a full blown
GUI for lbackup?

Yes, the Mac OS X Energy Saver System Preferences pane can be used to
schedule a computer wake up time, but you can only specify one time.
The problem is I have different backup jobs scheduled to run at
different times of the day, one after another. Unless there is a way
to specify multiple directories to be backed up, and backed up to
different locations, other wise I will need the computer to be
awakened multiple times during the day. So I guess another question
would be can I specify multiple sources and destinations in a lbackup
configuration file?

I test-opened some files restored from my current scheduled test
backups, they all seem to behave correctly. So I guess using lbackup
with the stock rsunc 2.6 (in Mac OS X 10.5.8) without any patches or
other utilities might be OK for now.

Thanks for your help!