> If I understand right, the steps are:
>
> 1. Create and compile a kernel of your choice.
> 2. Create a Minix file system and populate it with the contents of
> root.lrp
> 3. Compress the Minix filesystem with gzip and put on disk as initrd.gz
> 4. Modify linuxrc to run /sbin/init at the end

I don't think this is the best way to solve this.  IMHO, it's better to have
the kernel boot with root=[!ram0], which will get linuxrc running.  Linuxrc
should then set the real root device to /dev/ram (or your tmpfs or ramfs
device) by writing to /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev (see initrd.txt in the
kernel Documentation directory).

Everything else looks OK.  I'd only point out that if the initial ramdisk
becomes  more of a bootloader, which is what I'd like to see, and I think
the direction Jaques is heading, root.lrp is just another package (although
likely the first to get loaded), and the initial ramdisk would be something
like boot.img, and should not have to change unless you need to change boot
methods (ie add new hardware support for a HDD, CD, or similar).

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net