Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> I don't think this is the best way to solve this.  IMHO, it's better to have
> the kernel boot with root=[!ram0], which will get linuxrc running.

I don't know what you mean by that...  What would root= be, then?  And
what does that have to do with /linuxrc?

I'm just getting a handle on this initrd thing...

> Linuxrc
> should then set the real root device to /dev/ram (or your tmpfs or ramfs
> device) by writing to /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev (see initrd.txt in the
> kernel Documentation directory).

I saw that...

> Everything else looks OK.  I'd only point out that if the initial ramdisk
> becomes  more of a bootloader, which is what I'd like to see, and I think
> the direction Jaques is heading, root.lrp is just another package (although
> likely the first to get loaded), and the initial ramdisk would be something
> like boot.img, and should not have to change unless you need to change boot
> methods (ie add new hardware support for a HDD, CD, or similar).

Oxygen root.lrp is already there; what you all call "root.lrp" for me
is: sed.lrp, init.lrp, inetd.lrp, timezone.lrp, cron.lrp, et al.
There's even e3.lrp, sysklog.lrp, ps.lrp, and more - 29 packages total
on the root disk.  So why not make root.lrp into initrd.gz?

Looking at Oxygen root.lrp, all that is there is really: busybox, a few
scripts, a dozen modules or more, boot time scripts, and the root
package files in /var/lib/lrpkg.  That's it.  Busybox is 330k, and the
modules all together might make up another 100k or 200k.  Everything
else is tiny.