On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

> Mike and I were discussing cvs off-list.  Since much of this is
> un-structured now, perhaps, we can impose some user-friendly and
> consistent form on our cvs tree.

A topic with a long history...

> I am starting to realize that, perhaps, I should take a directory based
> approach to helices' cvs tree.
>
> I have not settled on any particular structure.  However, I am wondering
> about several things:
>
> [1] Should I have separate trees for different underlying versions of
> net-snmp?  For example, I committed net-snmp v4.2.4.  I am contemplating
> building and committing both v4.2.5 and the totally different
> distribution v5.x.  So, one line of thinking is like this:
>
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.4/netsnmp.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.4/netsnmpd.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.4/nettrapd.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.5/netsnmp.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.5/netsnmpd.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.5/nettrapd.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v5.0.2/netsnmp.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v5.0.2/netsnmpd.lrp
>     devel/helices/net-snmp/v5.0.2/nettrapd.lrp
>     . . .

This seems quite the wrong direction.  CVS is supposed to manage
versioning completely independently of the directory structure.

> [2] Perhaps, my net-snmp package, for instance, should be in cvs in
> expanded form, so that when only one (1) or a few file contents change,
> that will be directly reflected in cvs?  Under this scenario, when only
> a single file -- perhaps, the primary binary? -- is changed, users can
> checkout only that file.

This sounds good.

> [3] Item [2] presents a difficulty when a user wants the whole LRP
> package as one (1) LRP file.  Is there some way to properly archive and
> compress a cvs directory tree and check that out?

If possible, but probably not. Probably should use both expanded and
packaged form.

> [4] I am still confused on how best to handle package descriptions.
> <http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/helices/net-snmp/> presents several
> TXT files that, once clicked on, present descriptive text regarding the
> LRP's that reside in versioned directories below this one.  Another
> example is Jacques Nilo's <http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/>
> wonderful page that links to installation and troubleshooting
> information.  How are we to do this under cvs?

After presenting two approaches you use the pronoun "this"??

CVS is designed to handle directories full of information... so a
directory tree of html documents is a natural thing to enter.

An idea...

  net-snmp/
    README.txt
    package/
      net-snmp.lrp
    target/
      etc/
        blahblah
      usr/
        bin/
          snmpbinary
    doc/
      index.html
      images/
        image1.jpg
    src/
      sourcefiles...

Let CVS deal with versioning.

David Douthitt has advocated (and it sounds good to me but I haven't done
it myself) a mechanism whereby sources obtained from other sources are
kept in original form and a parallel directory containing patchfiles and
compilation instructions is generated to allow LEAF-specific modifications
to be maintained separate from the original source tree if
necessary.  Read the archives... :)

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing