On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 17:41, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

> Mike Noyes wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 15:16, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > CVS retains all previous versions of a file in the repository. You can
> > specify a specific version for retrieval.
> >
> > Example:
> >
>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/leaf/bin/packages/glibc-2.0/dhclient.lrp
> >
> > Download version 1.10
> >
>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/leaf/bin/packages/glibc-2.0/dhclient.lrp?rev=HEAD&content-type=application/octet-stream
> >
> > Download version 1.1
> >
>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/leaf/bin/packages/glibc-2.0/dhclient.lrp?rev=1.1&content-type=application/octet-stream
>
> Yes, these are our (leaf) _cvs_ versions.  However, how can a user
> select net-snmp v4.2.4 when my net-snmp version is 1.1?

Michael,
A simple href on a web page will work. Lynn is already doing this on his
pages.

http://leaf-project.org/devel/guitarlynn/

> > > What happens when I decide that /usr/sbin/ntp_setup actually belongs
> > > /usr/bin/ntp_setup?  Or, /usr/sbin/ntp_setup becomes /usr/bin/setup_ntp?
> > >
> > > Clearly, cvs cannot know my intent, in this regard.  When committing a
> > > directory change, under this scenario, how should it be done?
> >
> > If we had shell access to the repository, we would hand edit the
> > structure change. SF doesn't allow us shell access to the cvs server, so
> > we need to open SF support requests to make changes like this.
>
> If this is all that is available to us -- and, really, such requests
> seem to be available to only a few, like you, Mike -- then, it behooves
> me to select a good structure now, before I have to request alot of
> changes.  That is why I belabor this point now.

I understand your concerns, but the SF staff are happy to make any
changes we may need (move, rename, remove). You can talk with them on
irc if you want to verify this(irc.slashnet.org channel #sourceforge).
BTW, I'm there most of the day too.

Note: changes of this type take from 24 to 72 hours of working days to
process. A project admin usually needs to make the requested change.

Note 2: I keep a log of all SF support requests that are opened for our
project in this task.
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=45595&group_id=13751&group_project_id=5257

Note 3: If you have a problem with one of the SF services please add a
comment to this task.
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=45594&group_id=13751&group_project_id=5257

> > > What should I, joe-leaf-user, expect to find while perusing ViewCVS?
> >
> > doc -- released documentation
> > bin/packages -- released packages sorted by library type/revision
> >
> >     binary files for LEAF release/branch tree (write access controlled
> >     by lead developer)
> >         /bering
> >         /dachstein
> >         /oxygen
> >         /packetfilter
> >         /wisp-dist
> >         /wrp
> > src -- source code
>
> Is that like Jeff's earlier directory structure outline, or is this
> referring to the text to include in the cvs commit blurb?

This is the current LEAF repository structure. see
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/leaf/

> > Think of the devel tree as individual repositories, and the doc, bin,
> > and src trees as community resources. Did that help?
>
> Right now, I'm only thinking about what goes under my devel/helices
> tree.  How that gets tied into dcd, bering, or whatever, is another
> issue, which I've decided to ignore for the moment.  Remember, this all
> started with your request to me to commit my net-snmp packages.  I
> committed the LRP's only, and since I've begun to plan committing
> several other items.  It's this planning that has me hung now; but, I'd
> really like to put that behind me ;>

Understood. I'm not sure how I can assist you with this though, as each
developer has different ideas of what a repository should look like.
Maybe these links will help.

CVS Documentation
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/

# Open Source Development with CVS by Karl Fogel
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/