and Erich wrote:
> As long as bering-uclibc4 is not the parent of bering-uclibc5 as

> mentioned above. I woudl use something more neutral as the top level and

> use GIT as the branch manager.

Ok; Mikes proposal sounds reasoanble and I think a repository each leaf
project is a way to go.
In the repository we can one or more directories := different major versions of
a project. In the past Bering-uClibc major version changed mostly when uClibc
changed significantly and broke binary compatibility, the second version number
was reserved for major updates, esp. kernel updates, the third for fixes.
The last two can be handled with branching in the directory.
I read the man page for "git rebase" and it talks about branches
Bering-Uclibc 5 will introduce maor changes (uClibc, buildtool), but as long
as it's an evolutionary process and the developers agree to build together a
new version while maintaining the old. *If* there will be disagreement about
the future, Bering-uClibc5 may be forked and put into a new repository as a
completly different project. Like Bering-uClibc was a fork of Bering, and
therefor a new LEAF project.

So we'll have the repositories:
leaf/leaf
leaf/Bering (if there would be further development)
leaf/Bering-uClibc
leaf/packages (for binaries)

in the repository leaf/bering-uclibc we could have the directories
bering-uclibc4 (today buildtool)
bering-uclibc5
bering-uclibc-mips

as I said as long as the developers agree to work together and therefor should
be interested to push and pull also from new directories.

In the leaf/bering-uclibc/bering-uclibc4 directory we can have two or three
remote branches
master with the latest development tree leading to 4.1 or whatever
4_0_1 with fixes  and security updates for 4.0
later 4_1_1 with fixes for 4.1
I'm not shure about remote branches (how to tag, when to delete...), what be
in the end the stable versions (4.0 or 4.0.1) once we stop working on
4.0.x...?
But I guess this can be figured out and learned in the process.

If we do agree, I'm creating the new bering-uclibc repository and everyone
should have a clean local git so moving from leaf/leaf/buildtool to
leaf/bering-uclibc/bering-uclibc4 does not harm too much. (Though I'm not
shure if this works as seamless as I hope.)