Am Montag, 20. Juni 2011, 22:25:28 schrieb Erich Titl:
> on 20.06.2011 21:22, Andrew wrote:
> > 20.06.2011 18:53, KP Kirchdoerfer пишет:
>
> > I think that directories inside repos are actually unneeded. Branches
> > are IMHO enough good. And switching between them is easy (git checkout
> > branchname).
>
> Yep
>
> > Additional directories should add just headache on importing fixes from
> > stable branch to experimental + wasting of space on HDD for most
> > developers who works on one branch, and no profit at all. If somebody
> > wants to have 2 or more independent source trees - he may just create
> > new directory and clone repository into it, then switch to desired
> > branch. And I see only one con of this solution - additional overhead
> > for duplicated .git directory (which isn't too big - now it's near 350M
> > which is 20 times smaller than fully compiled building environment &
> > packages, and comparable to sources size), but this solution has such
> > advantages as completely independent work on projects, w/o need to
> > checkout each time new branch and no troubles with rolling back to one
> > of earlier commits.
>
> Right
>
> >> In the leaf/bering-uclibc/bering-uclibc4 directory we can have two or
> >> three remote branches
> >> master with the latest development tree leading to 4.1 or whatever
> >> 4_0_1 with fixes  and security updates for 4.0
> >> later 4_1_1 with fixes for 4.1
> >> I'm not shure about remote branches (how to tag, when to delete...),
> >> what be in the end the stable versions (4.0 or 4.0.1) once we stop
> >> working on 4.0.x...?
> >> But I guess this can be figured out and learned in the process.
> >
> > Just switch to commit that is tagged as release, then create new branch
> > and add all modifications for it (AFAIK you even can merge just some
> > selected commits or commits range from one branch into another one).
> > And I think that branch deletion is really unneeded (maybe except very
> > experimental branches that becomes dead and has no practical interest)
> >
> >> If we do agree, I'm creating the new bering-uclibc repository and
> >> everyone should have a clean local git so moving from
> >> leaf/leaf/buildtool to leaf/bering-uclibc/bering-uclibc4 does not harm
> >> too much. (Though I'm not shure if this works as seamless as I hope.)
>
> Be careful, it took me roughly 16 hours to get mine back working and I
> am not sure everything is as it was.
>
> >> kp
> >
> > I vote for excluding unneeded entities (project directories) from
> > development process to avoid troubles in future. Git brahches are enough
> > good for projects separating. Other opinions?
>
> +1
>
> Erich

Ok; created the repository leaf/bering-uclibc.
git clone ssh://u...@leaf.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/leaf/bering-uclibc

It's currently empty. Maybe someone will git knowledge will move the content
of leaf/leaf/buildtool to leaf/bering-uclibc/bering-uclibc4?
I believe a date for this should be given, so everyone can clean
up/save/whatelse his local repositories just to be safe.