Richard,

> From: "Dr. Richard W. Tibbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:06:13 -0500
>
> I have sporadically had the same problem, probably due to network
> misconfig on my end.
> What I am still curious about --- maybe someone can explain this --- is
> why a unix socket system call, sendto(), is being invoked by ping ---
> which assumedly would be using inet calls like listen() and accept().
> Sendto() should only be used for IPC on the same machine, right?
> Hmmmm....

Quickly checking my handy 'libc' info it says by 'sendto':

   The normal way of sending data on a datagram socket is by using the
`sendto' function, declared in `sys/socket.h'.

which fits with my memory.

'ping' send ICMP packages/datagrams and doesn't use TCP/IP which is
what the listen (), accept () family of function are for.

<snip>

Greetings

--
Mark Plowman,                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
What is the hound of Wong-san crapping?!!         [EMAIL PROTECTED]