Ok.  I have spent the last 2 days messing with Dachstein (Floppy based).

I still can't get it to work.

I have gone through all menu option on lrcfg about 20 times.  I have looked over most
of
the documentation I have found.

This is my situation:

I am getting my DHCPACK from my ISP.  DHCP on the external side is working and sets
up.

DHCP on the internal side seems to be working, as my XP box is pulling the IP, etc.
from
the LRP box.

Under pretty much default settings, I can ping from both boxes to each other - but not
the outside world.  When I attempt to ping from the client box out - I get request
time
outs.  When I attempt to ping from the LRP out I get type 3 ping failure
("sendto():operation not permitted.)  The documentation I could find indicated that
this
was a firewall issue possibly related to ipchains.

I looked at ipchains, and really didn't have any idea where to start.

So instead I just went into ipfilter.conf and commented the following line as so:
# IPCH="sbin/ipchains --no-warnings"

I figured this would just cut out all ip packet filtering, and at least narrow down
the
problem.  After doing this, backing up, and rebooting - I can now ping out from the
LRP
box and can even resolve domain names.  From the client box I can ping to the external
node of the LRP box, but no further.  It still get "request time out" on all outside
pings.

LRP Box Stats:

p166 w/ 64mb
internal IP 192.168.1.254
external IP 10.120.92.142

XP Box
p550 w/256mb
internal ip 192.168.1.1
gateway 192.168.1.254
dhcp server 192.168.1.254
dns1 24.116.0.81
dns2 24.116.0.201

Pretty much everything is set to default other than that one line I mentioned earlier.

guitarlynn requested the following info:

results of ip route show:

192.168.1.0/24          dev     eth1    proto   kernel  scope   link    src
192.168.1.254

10.120.92.0/22          dev     eth0    proto   kernel  scope   link    sc
10.120.92.142

default via 10.120.92.1         dev     eth0

results of netstat -i

Kernel Interface table
Iface   MTU     Met     RX-OK           RX-ERR  RX-DRP  RX-
OVR     TX-OK   TX-ERR  TX-DRP  TX-OVR  Flg
eth0    1500    0       620             0               0               0
        106     0               0               0               BMRU
eth1    1500    0       381             0               0               0
        351     0               0               0               BMRU
lo      3924    0       108             0               0               0
        108     0               0               0               LRU

I would guess turning off ipchains really isn't a good solution (especially since it
doesn't
fully solve the problem).  Any help would be appreciated.  If you need more info -
just tell
me what to send.

Sincerely,

Justin Pease