You didn't really provide enough detail to get good answers yet, but I'll
answer what I can and (I hope) help you post a better followup.

At 11:57 PM 4/14/02, Blue Shadow wrote:
>I'm fairly new to networking and so I maybe doing something obviously wrong.
>
>but here goes.
>
>I am trying to network 4 PC's through a LEAF box. here is my set up
>
>!-----------!    !---------!       !-------!---------[pc 1]
>!xDSL modem !----!LEAF box !-------!Switch !---------[pc 2]
>!-----------!    !---------!       !-------!---------[pc 3]
>                                       L-------------[pc 4]
>

>I am using Dachstein v1.0.2 1680 for the LEAF box
>
>and a mix of Win 98, XP, and NT for the machines.
>I am mainly intrested in the W98 machine, as that is the one that needs to
>work first.
>
>Here is my question.
>
>How do I know if the LEAF box is able to access the web?

Log on to the LEAF router and try to ping, BY address, the gateway your ISP
gave you (one of the numbers that should have come with the static address
you say you have). If that works, you can probably access the Internet. If
it doesn't, tell us HOW the ping fails (see the LEAF FAQ for help with ping
details).

>And if it can, then
>why is my w98 machine not able to get access.

This is a bad way to ask the question. "get across" doesn't describe
anything. What happened is that you couldn't access Websites using Internet
Explorer, or you couldn't send e-mail, or you couldn't ping out, or you
couldn't play Quake, or ... well, these are just examples, and only you know
what you actually tried to do.

>Here are some of the settings i've made and some of the trouble shooting
>i've done.
>
>first of all, using the instructions from the service provider to set up my
>W98 machine, I got a connection and have been using, so the modem and the
>service is fine.
>
>1. I have a static IP from my provider.
>
>so I followed the instructions for setting up the LEAF box to work with a
>static IP. However, I did not get a clear answer from them on the the
>network mask length. They said it is 32 and this is what i set it to
>
>ie.  eth0_MASKLEN=32
>
>but I am not confident in this and will call back to talk to the network
>admin directly on monday. btw, is there a default value for this?

There is no default value for this. Did /32 work on your Windows host when
iti was directly connected? If not, what setting did you actually use on it?

As a general matter, the netmask has to be such that your IP address and the
gateway IP address are on the same network (because the router needs a route
to the gateway). There are other ways to do this -- you can use a /32 plus a
static host route, for instance -- but making the netmask fit is the usual one.

I think the LEAF FAQ has an entry on computing netmasks. (I certainly hope
it does, because several of us have written good tutorials over the years.)

>2. My provider gave me a username and domain name to set up my W98 machine.
>However, I did not find where to enter this info into the LEAF machine. Is
>it necessary for a static IP?

Whether it is needed or not has nothing to do with whether your address is
static or dynamic. You may need it as part of your e-mail address. It may be
part of the ISP's system for authenticating you as a customer. It can matter
for DNS resolution. Knowing as little as we do about the details of your
setup, I can't give you a definitive answer.

>3. I believe that the conection between the LEAF box and the client machines
>is porbably ok, since after pluging the cable from the LEAF box to my XP
>machine and telling it to "fix conection" it retrieved an IP and established
>a conection, but still could not access the internet.

"retrieved an IP?" Do you mean you are running the LEAF system as a DHCP
server and the WinXP host got a lease? Was it in the right address range for
your LAN (WinXX hosts will assign themselves default IP addresses if they
can't get DHCP leases.)

Can the WinXX host ping the LEAF router? IF not, how does it fail?

>as far as the hardware, all the cables are ok and all NIC's light up when
>pluged in.
>
>so i think it comes down to the setup of the LEAF box.
>
>in these areas.
>
>mask lenght setting.
>or
>Host and Domain information.
>
>Once again I am a newbee in dealing with network setup.

Yuou haven't reported anything like enough information to detetmine where
the problem lies. Especially, we don't know if the WinXX host can
communicate with the LEAF router, never mind whether anything on your LAN
can reach the Internet.

The LEAF FAQ has an entry that outlines the basic info needed to begin
troubleshooting a connectivity problem. I suggest you read that over, gather
the needed info (which involves doing some tests that may let you spot the
problem on your own), and post a followup.