Please stop me before I go running off down the wrong road!!!

Here's the situation:  My sister-in-law is dying to get herself a laptop
and WIFI.  They already have a cable modem and a virus-laden P2P, chat,
teenager PC in the house.  They have no firewall currently.  She can
never get on the PC, so she wants a laptop she can use anywhere.

Here is what I am proposing to do:

Cable Modem -> Bering --> (Private Network) Current PC (Windows XP)

                ---> DMZ --> WAP --> Laptop (Windows XP)

The question is, of course, how to secure the WIFI and Laptop.  I was
hoping that the Laptop could establish an IPSEC connection through the
WAP to Bering.  Only IPSEC connections would be allowed in the DMZ.  I'm
recommending she go with 802.11g so there is enough bandwidth left after
IPSEC to do some useful work.

Does this make any sense?  Has anybody done it?  Can a WAP passthrough
IPSEC?

I looked into adding a WIFI card to Bering but 802.11g cards are not
well supported, AND I don't want to become full-time tech support for
this configuration.

Thanks,

Sean