Thanks for the correction, but based on the documentation for the QoS under
Bering, I should be able to type the initial command, and get some response.
Instead I only get the error.  I have defined the modules, as noted here:

firewall: -root-
# lsmod
Module         Pages    Used by
sch_tbf                 2176   0 (unused)
sch_sfq                 3168   0 (unused)
sch_red                 2136   0 (unused)
sch_prio                2144   0 (unused)
sch_ingress             1276   0 (unused)
sch_htb                12032   0 (unused)
sch_gred                4288   0 (unused)
sch_dsmark              3608   0 (unused)
sch_csz                 3436   0 (unused)
sch_cbq                11608   0 (unused)
cls_u32                 4256   0 (unused)
cls_tcindex             3812   0 (unused)
cls_rsvp6               4096   0 (unused)
cls_rsvp                3968   0 (unused)
cls_route               3876   0 (unused)
cls_fw                  2108   0 (unused)
ip_nat_irc              2176   0 (unused)
ip_nat_ftp              2784   0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_irc        2880   1
ip_conntrack_ftp        3648   1
8211                   63896   0 (unused)
epic100                11960   2
mii                     2092   0 [epic100]
ide-probe-mod           8476   0
ide-disk                9304   0
ide-mod                63076   0 [ide-probe-mod ide-disk]

and the output from the line that you supplied is the following:

firewall: -root-
# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

So I still think that it may be an issue with something else that I am
I grabbed the wrong files at some point.  Since you are currently using the
QoS-htb from within Bering, would you be willing to send me your qos-htb.lrp
file, as well as the tc.lrp.  I could modify you htb.init for my environment
and test that as well.

Thanks all thus far, I think that with enough minds melting on the same
subject, we can identify my problem.

Regards,

Joey