hi David

I think there is a misunderstanding about the problem.
I have two machine:
- the first is a Soekris net4501 and on this machine the kernel does not
boot; I can see the syslinux output about loading of /syslinux/linux and
/initrd.lrp, but nothing more. The system hangs. On this system BuC3.1
runs correctly.
- the second is a Soekris net4801 that I boot using the same compact
flash generated for the first net4501 to verify that the compact flash
has not some kind of problem; BuC4.0 runs correctly without problems,
but I have seen the "libata.dma=0 not found" error.

I hope the test environment is more clear now.
I think that there is a kind of incompatibility between the i486 kernel
and the AMD ELAN SC520 processor that is installed on net4501.
Is there a simple way to rebuild a kernel for the AMD ELAN CPU? Is a
difficult operation? Can I try to built it?

thanks  a lot
graziano

Graziano Brioschi

Outland s.a.s.