Hi Bob

on 24.10.2014 14:39, Robert K Coffman Jr. -Info From Data Corp. wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 1:45 PM, Andrew wrote:
>> something like this:
>>
>> for i in `ls /mnt`; do wget ftp://.../$i; done
>> mv init* linux modules.* /moddb /mnt
>> apkg -u *.lrp # this update configs
>> mv * /mnt
>>

> Andrew,
>
> I'll have to trace the logic, I'm not sure exactly what that is doing.

> I was thinking of targeting the configuration files I know that I
> change, and using scp as all the firewalls I need to upgrade are
> available over SSH.

That will work. I am in the process of writing an update procedure for
myself, because I feel this is an area where we could still improve.

Upgrading fron 4.x should not be much of a problem, as the format of
configdb has not changed, so you can probably use your existing
configdb. All it needs is the current kernel and modules along with the
new package versions. If you are short of memory, the hardware detection
might not work. I tried Victor's trick on my wrap and it failed for me.

If you have sufficient space on the CF I would suggest to modify your
boot program to support multiboot and either install the new release on
a new partition or first clone the packages and settings to a new
partition so you always have a fallback.

cheers

Erich