I am using the same version - 5.2.4 Rev 1. I loaded wget.lrp and resolved
its dependencies manually (I don't normally use it), and it's not built with
https support. Downloading the latest wget from sourceforge and resolving
its extra dependencies manually (libcrypto & libssl), it now fails on the
certificate check. wget needs the option
--no-check-certificate. I hacked on /usr/sbin/upgrade to add
'alias wget="wget --no-check-certificate"' and  'upgrade -c' then works
correctly.

I guess the real solution is a version of busybox where its wget supports
https. The latest busybox (1.24.2) does appear to support https but it does
it either via openssl (very heavy on libraries) or via a small auxiliary
program ssl_helper which is statically linked against a small SSL library.

regards,

John